Garrett James Photography

Chiefs dominate game one vs. Surrey

After staggering into the playoffs, the Chilliwack Chiefs made a statement in game one that they are a force to be reckoned with. Coming into the series, Chilliwack had only won two games in the month of February, including losing three times to the Surrey Eagles.

Chilliwack started its mainstay number one Mathieu Caron and Surrey started Reese Klassen who boasted a 9-3 record in 14 appearances with a 2.25 GAA and .924 SV%.

The first period saw the Chiefs come out with a purpose, dropping 17 shots on Klassen. They broke the ice at 8:10 when Kyle Penney got his first of the playoffs from Jack Agnew and Detroit Red Wings draft pick Cooper Moore. The Chiefs went up by two 23 seconds later when Brody Gagno notched his first from Brett Willits and Trevor Adams.

The second period saw the Chiefs down a man to start the period as Joey Larson took a slashing penalty with three seconds left in the first. Gabe Schovanek capitalized on the power play one minute in from Hudson Schandor and Surrey’s leading scorer Christopher Tellier.

Chilliwack regained its two goal lead when Larson got his first from Arlo Merritt and Chiefs leading scorer and rookie of the year nominee Nikita Nesterenko. The Chiefs went up by three as Peter Reynolds notched a power play goal from Moore.

The third period saw Surrey finally get its playoff legs. The Eagles scored one at 6:17 from Schandor assisted by Tellier. Then they tallied a second goal minutes later to make it 4-3 as Schovanek got his second from Schandor and Cade Alami.

12 seconds later after the ensuing face off, Trevor Adams made it a two goal game again. The goal came unassisted. Arlo Merritt notched an empty net goal from Nicholas Cherkowski to salt the game away.
Caron stopped 18 shots while Klassen turned aside 33 in the loss.

The Chiefs flexed their muscle that was missing for the last month. Game two goes Saturday in Chilliwack where the Chiefs look to go up 2-0 in the series before heading to the large ice surface of the South Surrey Arena on Monday.