BCHL experience dots UBC roster that advances to Canada West championship
— UBC Thunderbirds / @UBCTBirds (@ubctbirds) February 24, 2020
The fifth seed University of BC Thunderbirds men’s hockey team orchestrated one of the biggest upsets in USports history with a 2-1 win over the top seeded University of Alberta to advance to the Canada West final for the first time in 42 years.
There are 12 players on UBC’s roster who played in the BCHL at some point during their junior hockey careers. Seven of them were signed and roster players in the BCHL, while five of them played in the league as affiliate players.
- Colton Kehler (25 goals, 14 assists in 93 games with Cowichan Valley and Langley from 2013-15)
- Ryan Pouliot (six goals, 11 assists in 45 games with Powell River from 2014-19)
- Kyle Becker (five goals, four assists in 40 games with Nanaimo and Cowichan Valley from 2011-12)
- Anthony Bishop (five goals, 18 assists in 35 games with West Kelowna from 2014-19)
- James Orban (three goals, 12 assists in 30 games with Alberni Valley in 2017-18)
- Jonathan Smart (one goal, two assists in 13 games with Penticton in 2018-19)
- Dryden Michaud (one goal in seven games with Surrey in 2017-18)
- Carter Popoff (one assist in six games as an affiliate with Penticton and Surrey in 2011-12)
- Matt Revel (one goal, one assist in six games as an affiliate with Chilliwack from 2012-13)
- Maxwell James (one assist in four games as an affiliate with Merritt in 2013-14)
- Jarret Tyszka (no points in four games as an affiliate with Chilliwack in 2014-15)
- Jerret Smith (no points in two games as an affiliate with Surrey in 2011-12)
UBC faces the University of Saskatchewan Huskies for the Canada West crown. Sunday’s win over Alberta also earned the Thunderbirds a spot at the David Johnston University Cup in Halifax in March.
Three Stars of the Night
First Star: Chilliwack forward Joey Larson scored two goals and added an assist.
Second Star: Nanaimo forward Ethan Scardina had a pair of goals.
Third Star: Chiefs forward Nikita Nesterenko notched three assists.
Honourable Mentions: Clippers defenceman Devon Mussio and Chilliwack forward Nicholas Cherkowski each chipped in with two assists. Alberni Valley goaltender Luke Pearson made 40 saves. Salmon Arm forward William Poirier, Nanaimo forward Travis Walton and Chilliwack forward Ethan Bowen each had a goal and an assist. Merritt goaltender Ryan Winter made 37 saves.
2020 Fred Page Cup First Round Playoff Match-ups
(1) Coquitlam vs. (4) Langley
(2) Chilliwack vs. (3) Surrey
(1) Nanaimo vs. (4) Alberni Valley
(2) Cowichan Valley vs. (3) Powell River
(1) Penticton vs. (6) West Kelowna
(2) Trail vs. (WC2) Prince George
(3) Salmon Arm vs. (WC1) Victoria
(4) Wenatchee vs. (5) Vernon